TAG is working hard to build and maintain the most comprehensive list of Teaching Artist Training Programs anywhere.
It is part of our long-term roadmap to add these programs to the Asset Map, but in the meantime we hope the list below is useful for those looking for professional development and training opportunities.
- Austin TX
- Boston MA Area
- Chicago IL
- Chicago IL Area
- Cleveland OH Area
- Los Angeles CA
- New Haven CT
- New Mexico
- New Orleans LA Area
- New York
- New York City
- Northeast Texas
- Philadelphia PA
- San Diego CA Area
- San Francisco Bay Area
- Seattle WA
- South Florida
- Twin Cities Area
- Washington State
Teaching Artist Institute of Rochester
- Teaching Artist Project
- Rochester, NY
- Serving: Rochester, NY
- The Teaching Artist Institute of Rochester (TAIR) is a professional development series for emerging and advanced teaching artists to expand their teaching practice and connect with a community of artists.
Ballet Teacher Training Program ‘The Method of Teaching Classical Dance”, Kosrovitskaya/Vaganova, Six Year Accelerated Program
- Classical Dance Alliance
- New York, NY
- Serving: United States and Europe
- THE SIX-YEAR PROGRAM was written by Vera Kostrovitskaya for the Vaganova Academic Choreographic School in Leningrad (now St. Petersburg) as an accelerated version of the Eight-Year Program. CDA's Program helps teachers develop student proficiency: elementary to advanced.
Artistic Mental Health Professional Certification
- Healing Arts Education
- This 60-hour training course prepares a cohort of artists to act as Artistic Mental Health Professionals: a critical new role in our creative community. Trauma-informed, resilience-focused, practical tools for you and your space, for all ages.
Trauma-Informed Practice for Teaching Artists
- Stockton Rush Bartol Foundation
- Serving: Philadelphia and Nationally
- Virtual trauma-informed practice training for teaching artists, arts education administrators and organizations.
Florida Museum of Photographic Arts
- Florida Museum of Photographic Arts
- Serving: Florida
- Florida Museum of Photographic Arts is a hub for teaching artists with a variety of classes taught by highly validated professionals. Explore the creative potential residing in everyone, and the applications towards creative practice. All the workshops can be taken as single units of particular interest, or as a full concentration resulting in certificates of completion.
MFA/MA Applied Drama & Theatre for the Young
- Eastern Michigan University
- Ypsilanti, MI
- Serving: Metro Ann Arbor/Detroit Area
- The Applied Drama & Theatre for the Young Program allows students to expand and sharpen their craft as both an artist and educator. The program focuses on the symbiotic relationship of theatre artistry, pedagogy, and scholarship and applies practice
Teaching Artist Project
- Community-Word Project
- New York, NY
- Serving: New York City (Virtually: National)
- Teaching Artist Project is a collective of diversely experienced arts educators training emerging and working teaching artists who are looking for a supportive community to engage in a self-reflective, justice-oriented learning practice in service of their teaching.
Mini-apprenticeships with Master Artists and Makers
- VAWAA (Vacation With An Artist)
- Serving: Various art forms like Ceramics, Textiles, Painting, Woodworking, Performing Arts, Writing, Culinary, Sculpture, Paper, Metal, Writing and more
- We offer 1-1 mini-apprenticeships with curated master artists and makers around the world so you can expand your hands-on skills and incorporate global cultural knowledge and mastery in your teachings. Take a look at https://vawaa.com
El Otra Lado
- Academy for the Love of Learning
- Sante Fe, NM
- Our El Otro Lado program, a community arts engagement training, works with schools, communities, artists, and activists to create transformative storytelling and art experiences that transcend boundaries in communities. We pair teaching artists with hosts, teachers, people working in community, or activists, who work together to implement the curriculum in their shared space.
BA, Performing Arts and Social Justice
- University of San Francisco
- San Francisco, CA
- Serving: San Francisco Bay Area
- The Performing Arts and Social Justice major provides a robust toolkit for artists in different disciplines — dance, music, theater, stage design — to use their work to create a more humane and just world.
MA in Art, Education, and Community Practice
- NYU Steinhardt
- NY, NY
- Serving: New York
- Looks for students who are interested in envisioning new ways that artists, educators, designers, community organizers, and social activists can work together, and within community-based settings to propose critical interventions that inspire dialogue and catalyze social change through the arts.
MFA in Drama & Theatre for Youth and Communities
- University of Texas
- Austin, TX
- Serving: Austin, TX
- The DTYC program is inherently interdisciplinary in nature, drawing on practice and scholarship from many fields such as theatre/drama with youth, education, cultural studies, performance studies, health and wellness, youth development, and visual arts. Throughout their program of study, students in DTYC participate in socially engaged and culturally responsible coursework, fieldwork, performance-making and research activities.