TAG is working hard to build and maintain the most comprehensive list of Teaching Artist Training Programs anywhere.
It is part of our long-term roadmap to add these programs to the Asset Map, but in the meantime we hope the list below is useful for those looking for professional development and training opportunities.
- Austin TX
- Boston MA Area
- Chicago IL
- Chicago IL Area
- Cleveland OH Area
- Los Angeles CA
- New Haven CT
- New Mexico
- New Orleans LA Area
- New York
- New York City
- Northeast Texas
- Philadelphia PA
- San Diego CA Area
- San Francisco Bay Area
- South Florida
- Twin Cities Area
- Washington State
Teaching Artist Development Studio
- Columbia College Chicago
- Chicago, IL
- Serving: Chicago area
- Training program over several weeks, this year designed for mid-level teaching artists. Focuses on teaching artists in Chicago Public Schools.
Arts in Corrections: Opportunities For Justice and Rehabilitation
- California Lawyers for the Arts and William James Association
- University of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- Serving: National
- Conference to cover such topics as best practices, current research models, new developments, and challenges in the field. Includes a pre-conference day for artists new to teaching in corrections.
CAP (Community Arts Partnership) Residency for Teaching Artists
- California Institute of the Arts (CalArts)
- CalArts, Valencia, CA, and Los Angeles, CA
- Serving: National
- 5-week residency of three courses focusing on teaching in after school and community settings, and K-12. Residency can be followed by 3-week practicum in downtown LA.
Artist Training Initiative
- ArtSage Minnesota
- Multiple locations, MN
- Serving: Minnesota
- 10-month BASIC training program includes mentorship, workshops, site visits, and curriculum resources. 3-month ADVANCED training program for those that have taken the BASIC program; it consists of a practicum with a mentor.
Teaching Artist Training (TAT) Lab
- Arts in Education, Washington State Arts Commission
- WA State
- Serving: WA State
- Eight-month training for teaching in K-12 schools. For teaching artists looking to enhance their practice, engage with peers, and learn skills for learning plans and assessment.
Indiana Teaching Artist Institute
- Arts for Learning (Indiana Young Audiences)
- Phalen Leadership Academy, Indianapolis, IN
- Serving: Indiana
- One-day institute focusing on teaching artistry took place in November 2014. Included break-out workshops on topics such as classroom management, lesson planning, and working with special education students.